Woodwork at City Farm

What is the NDIS?

The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) is an Australia wide system of providing individualised planning, funding and support to people living with disability, their families and carers. It’s a lifetime approach to the delivery of support services, that will change over time with your individual circumstances.

As a participant, the Scheme provides you with real choice, control and flexibility through personalised funding for the services that most benefit you. The NDIS is managed by the NDIA (National Disability Insurance Agency).

NDIS Budget

Gain an understanding on Core, Capacity Building and Capital budgets.

Understanding the NDIS Budgets

Find out how you can budget for NDIS.

Am I Eligible for the NDIS?

NDIS Advice for Families and Carers

Access NDIS information for primary carers

Managing Your Person Centred Plan and NDIS Funding

Get options and resources for plan management

NDIS News and Resources

These tools will help you learn more about the structure and process of both funding models

Who can I talk to about the NDIS?

You can talk to us! Please get in touch, and a Nulsen staff member will be happy to answer your questions about the NDIS. Simply call 08 6253 4700.

You may also wish to contact the NDIS directly on 1800 800 110.


Am I eligible for the NDIS?

A person with a disability  that is likely to be permanent and the disability makes it difficult to take part in everyday activities can access the NDIS. A person needs to meet disability criteria or a child will need to meet the early intervention requirements, as well as age and residency requirements. For full details see Access Requirements.


NDIS Eligibility

In order to apply for funding under the National Disability Insurance Scheme, you’ll need to fit the following criteria.

  • Have a permanent impairment that significantly affects your ability to take part in everyday activities, or a child that demonstrates developmental delay;
  • Be aged less than 65 when you first apply to enter the NDIS;
  • Live in Australia in an NDIS area (for the location and transition schedule please contact us);
  • Be an Australian citizen or hold a permanent visa or a Protected Special Category visa.

Find out if you are eligible.

Other Disability Funding Pathways

Depending on your situation, you may receive funding for your disability through a separate organisation, such as the WA Insurance Commission in cases of permanent disability through a motor vehicle accident. You’ll find further information on these funding pathways, and links, below.

Managing Your Funding and Services

Self-management, shared management or complete organisation management. If you are receiving funding through the Department of Communities (Disability Services), or NDIS , you’ll likely be aware that you can choose from three main types of approved management and payment structures. It’s up to you how much responsibility you’d like to take on for managing the details of your funding. Regardless of which pathway you choose, you will always have a say about how your service is designed and delivered regardless of the service model that you go with.


Make your choices with complete autonomy, and choose when you need support workers, while also looking after the financial side of your funding. In this option you will have complete control of the funding and the responsibility to manage it efficiently. Structure 2:Shared Management You and your family may prefer to recruit your own support workers, while Nulsen can handle all the insurances, managing payroll and taxes, and provide backup support workers where required. If you are unsure about self-management you may prefer this particular option. You can always change your opinion and the approach at a later time.

Nulsen Managed

Nulsen undertakes all tasks associated with the day to day management of your funding, service, staff recruitment, training, supervision and compliance with reporting requirements. You will still be able to state and direct what services you want in your person centred plan.

More Funding Information

Department of Communities (Disability Services)

The department is responsible for advancing opportunities for people with disability. The department’s services are likely to phase out over the next three years.

National Disability Insurance Scheme

For many, this will be the primary system that funds support for daily living and allied health relating to your disability. This will be the agency that employs local area coordinators, who arrange the planning and funding approvals and assist to connect you with services. This scheme is designed to give you freedom in choosing your services provider(s).


The National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) is an independent statutory agency. Their role is to implement the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS).

WA Insurance Commission (WAIC)

In cases where a disability has arisen through a motor vehicle accident, a claim may be made via the WAIC or the commission of your home state. Nulsen is a registered provider for all WA State Insurance Commissions.

WorkCover WA

In cases where you require rehabilitation or medical treatment due to a workplace injury, WorkCover WA will oversee the worker’s compensation process and payouts.


Feel Like You Need More Information?

Contact a member of the Nulsen team to discuss your planning and funding options.